What a great webinar, Nutritional Trends and Implications for Weight Loss Surgery presented by Ashely McCartney, MS, RD, LD Bariatric Dietitian at Carle Hospital, Urbana, Illinois. If you missed it you can still earn 1.0 free CPEU by listening to the recording and completing the evaluation by visiting the event page.
The following are some comments on what was learned:
- The pros and cons of different bariatric procedures.
- What are the different trends in weight loss surgery?
- Reasonable option for temporary weight loss
- Very skeptical about long term weight loss efficacy
- High potential for inappropriate use
- Most beneficial indications are currently off-label
- What are the newer procedures on the horizon?
- Biliopancreatic diversion
- Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch
- Silastic ring gastric bypass
- The number of calories per day someone with bariatric surgery should consume.
- Many patients may face spousal support issues.
- The nutritional implications associated with bariatric surgery.
- Supplements needed with various weight loss surgeries.
- Effectiveness of a revision to a patient’s original procedure and the percent of weight loss.
- Diet regime post-surgery and the pros and cons of each procedure.
Ashley also shared some of her resources. You can access these from the event page. Scroll down to Event Materials. You will find the following resources shared:
- ASMBS Allied Health Nutritional Guidelines for the Surgical Weight Loss Patient
- AND Complete Counseling Kit for Weight Loss Surgery available for purchase at Eatright.org
- Post Op Foods
- Pregnancy After Weight Loss surgery
- Vitamin Tips for Gastric Bypass Patients
- Vitamin Tips for Sleeve Gastrectomy Patients
This post was written by Robin Allen, a member of OneOp (MFLN) Nutrition and Wellness team that aims to support the development of professionals working with military families. Find out more about the OneOp Nutrition and Wellness concentration on our website, on Facebook, on Twitter, and LinkedIn.