- This event has passed.
Talking with Youth about Sex, Sexuality, and Media
Thu August 5, 2021: 11:00 am-12:30 pm EDTFree
About This Webinar:
Participants will learn how to help and prepare children and youth to practice better decision-making in regards to their bodies and the bodies of others. We also discuss best practices for having substantial conversations on understanding pornography, sex, and sexuality. This presentation is for professionals working with children and their families, caregivers, and family members. Youth and young adults are also invited to attend.
By the end of this webinar presentation, attendees will be able to:
- Discuss strategies for speaking to children about sex, sexuality, pornography, and interaction with their peers.
- Recognize how to have sensitive but needed conversations with children on important topics.
- Discuss the importance and difference between parents-caregivers and other caring adults and the impact of different roles adults play in a young person’s life and how each role can have a positive impact on the development of young people in regards to their development and identity.
- Review the impact of social media and its relationship with pornography and social media’s role in modern youth life.
- Recognize how to better prepare children and caregivers to make better choices and have more successful interventions when faced with difficult situations related to sex, sexuality, pornography, and youth-produced images.
Clifford Sipes is the facilitator of youth voice at the National Center on the Sexual Behavior of Youth (NCSBY).
He specializes in the creation of youth advisories and getting youth and young adults involved in the training of professionals that serve them. He is an indigenous person with family ties in both Oklahoma and Montana.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
Click the button below for CE credit
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
OneOp Family Development will apply for the following Continuing Education (CE) credits:
- Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists: Programming approval for CE credits will be obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists from the UT Austin Steve Hicks School of Social Work. **Note: Eligibility for CE credit expires on August 5, 2023.
- Certified Family Life Educators (CFLEs): This webinar will offer Contact Hours from the National Council on Family Relations to CFLE’s.
- Case Managers: Case Management Continuing Education Credits from the Commission for Case Manager Certification are no longer available for this webinar. However, please click the button above to complete an evaluation to give us your feedback.
- Certificates of completion will also be available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.
Please revisit this page after the live webinar for updated information on the above CE credits. For questions about continuing education opportunities, email OneOp FD at OneOpFamilyDevelopment@gmail.com.
This webinar is part of the Sexual Behavior in Children & Youth (SBCY) Series hosted by OneOp Family Development. For more information on other professional development opportunities on this topic, visit the series homepage!