- This event has passed.
Brain Health: Understanding Military-Related TBIs
Thu March 17, 2022: 11:00 am-12:00 pm EDTFree
About This Webinar:
Traumatic brain injury is a significant health issue that affects service members and veterans during times of both peace and war. The high rate of TBI and blast-related concussion events resulting from current combat operations directly impacts the health and safety of individual service members as well as unit readiness and troop retention. The impacts of TBI are felt within each branch of the service.
This webinar examines the VA and Military Health System (MHS) TBI pathway of care, current DoD understanding of concussion and symptom clusters, and provides resources for the management of concussion.
- Recognize what is new in our understanding of concussion/mTBI
- Learn about advances in concussion management and resources for the management of concussion
- Learn the definition of TBI and current understanding of concussion (including causes, signs, and symptoms) and the impact of concussion on service members, the unit, and the mission
- Gain awareness of symptom clusters, risk factors, and targeted treatment
- Learn about the VA PolyTrauma System of Care and TBI Care in the Military Health System and understand the concussion recovery trajectory
This webinar is Part 1 of 2 webinars on Traumatic Brain Injury. RSVP for Part 2, “Support for Reintegration after TBI: Strategies For Advocates, Care Coordinators and Case Managers” on the event page here!
Kristen Benson is the Regional Education Coordinator for the Traumatic Brain Injury Center of Excellence (TBICoE) of the Defense Health Agency. She is a licensed social worker in the Commonwealth of Virginia and earned her Master of Social Work degree at the University of Pennsylvania in 2020. As a UPENN Stephen A. Cohen Veteran’s Network Scholar, she specialized in military and veteran behavioral health and completed her advanced year internship with the Poly Trauma team at the Philadelphia VAMC.
In addition to her work with the Traumatic Brain Injury Center of Excellence, she is a supervisee in social work for a private practice and is completing a Master of Business Administration degree with Johns Hopkins University Carey School of Business.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
Click the button below for CE credit
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
- Social Work, LPC, LMFTs: Programming approval for 1.0 CE credits will be obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists from the University of Texas at Austin, Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Check with your state licensing agency for reciprocity and/or credit approval if licensed for other professions or in one of the following states: CO, FL, HI, IA, KS, KY, MI, NY, ND, OH, OK (Expires: March 17, 2024).
- Case Managers: Case Management Continuing Education Credits from the Commission for Case Manager Certification are no longer available for this webinar. However, please click the button above to complete an evaluation to give us your feedback.
- Board-Certified Patient Advocates: This program has been pre-approved by The Patient Advocate Certification Board to provide continuing education credit to Board Certified Patient Advocates (BCPA). The course has been approved for a total of 1.0 CE contact hour, of which 0.0 are in the area of Ethics. (*Expires: 3/17/24)
- Certified Family Life Educators (CFLEs): This program has been approved by the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) for 1.0 CE credit for CFLE (Expires: March 17, 2027).
- Ohio Nurses Association (ONA): This activity has been submitted to the Ohio Nurses Association for approval to award contact hours. The Ohio Nurses Association is accredited as an approver of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation (OBN-001-91) (Expires: March 17, 2024).
- OneOp Certificates of Attendance are available for providers interested in documenting their professional development activities.
For questions about continuing education opportunities, email OneOp FD at OneOpFamilyDevelopment@gmail.com.
Webinar Slides| Printable PDF
Webinar Resources and Links| PDF
Support for Reintegration after TBI: Strategies For Advocates, Care Coordinators, and Case Managers| OneOp Military Caregiving Part 2 Webinar
Interactive Self-Care Workshop for Military & Veteran TBI Caregivers| OneOp Webinar (CE credits available)
An Introduction to the Traumatic Brain Injury Center of Excellence’s Caregiver and Provider Resources| Anchored. Podcast Episode 24
Traumatic Brain Injury Center of Excellence| TBICoE Homepage
TBI: A Guide for Caregivers of Service Members and Veterans| PDF Guide
Webinar Flyer| PDF