- This event has passed.
Nutrition in Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Wed May 18, 2022: 11:00 am-12:00 pm EDTFree
About This Webinar
This webinar provides an overview of current research evidence on nutritional issues with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The discussion includes research regarding multiple risk factors for those with ASD as well as applications and strategies to assist providers working with individuals with ASD.
- Recognize an increased risk of obesity and non-communicable diseases in individuals with autism spectrum disorder.
- Understand specific mealtime and nutritional challenges in individuals with autism spectrum disorder.
- Apply effective nutrition education strategies to improve mealtime and eating behaviors among individuals with autism spectrum disorder.
Heewon L. Gray, PhD, RDN
Assistant Professor (tenure-earning pathway)
College of Public Health
University of South Florida
Dr. Gray is a Registered Dietitian, Nutritionist and received her PhD in Behavioral Nutrition from Columbia University. Her research focuses on developing and evaluating nutrition education intervention programs, especially for children and adolescents. She has extensive experience in obesity prevention and nutrition education for children and adolescents and has conducted several studies related to nutrition in individuals with ASD. Currently, she is the principal investigator of the NIH-funded project (R21HD106182) that aims to evaluate the feasibility and efficacy of a nutrition education intervention for children with ASD and their parents. She also serves as co-investigator for two other NIH-funded nutrition intervention studies to reduce the risk of obesity among pediatric cancer survivors and rural Latino populations in Florida.
CONTINUING EDUCATION (CE) CREDIT
- 1.0 CPEU for RDNs and NDTRs from the Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Offers CE credits through the Early Intervention Training Program (EITP) at the University of Illinois.
- Is a Gateways to Opportunity Registry-approved Training for early care and education professionals in Illinois.
Standard Nutrition Austism Resource List
Webinar Slides (PDF)
Cover photo: Adobe Creative Cloud Express