- This event has passed.
TRICARE 101 Health Plans & Special Programs
Wed May 25th: 11:00 am-12:30 pm EDTFree
About This Webinar
It’s important for military families to understand who qualifies for TRICARE programs and the benefits to which they are entitled. This webinar is designed to help providers better support families as they navigate the TRICARE system.
Learn about the following TRICARE programs:
- TRICARE for Life (TFL)
- Extended Care Health Option (ECHO)
- Autism Care Demonstration (ACD)
After completing this webinar, participants should be able to:
- Discuss the differences between TRICARE health plans (TFL) and special programs (ECHO and ACD).
- Identify who is eligible for these programs.
- Explain how to register or sign-up for TRICARE programs.
- Identify what benefits are associated with these programs.
What is TRICARE?
TRICARE is a health care program for service members, retirees, and their families around the world. TRICARE provides coverage to all beneficiaries including health plans and special programs.
Health Plans and Special Programs
TFL is Medicare-wraparound coverage for TRICARE-eligible beneficiaries who have Medicare Part A and B.
ECHO provides financial assistance to beneficiaries with special needs for an integrated set of services and supplies.
ACD covers applied behavior analysis services authorized to target the core symptoms of autism spectrum disorder.
Anne E. Breslin
Program Manager, TRICARE For Life
Defense Health Agency
Anne E. Breslin is the TRICARE For Life Program Manager, within the TRICARE Health Plan. Ms. Breslin has served in this capacity since the program began in October 2001. In this capacity serves as the Liaison to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and the Social Security Administration. Before coming to the TRICARE Management Activity, Ms. Breslin served as a Managed Care Specialist for The Health Care Financing Administration, now named The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (1990-1998). She has devoted 34 years of service to the needs of our nation’s senior and disabled populations, primarily in the areas of Social Security, Medicare, and TRICARE benefits. Ms. Breslin received her BS from John Carroll University and her MS from Case Western Reserve University.
Carmen De Leon, BSN, RN
Case Management/Special Needs Programs
Defense Health Agency
Carmen De Leon works for the Defense Health Agency (DHA) – TRICARE Health Plan / Clinical Oversight & Integration Section. Ms. De Leon’s role functions as the DHA nurse consultant/subject matter expert for case management and special needs programs. She is the Program Manager for the TRICARE Select Navigator Pilot Program and the clinical program lead for the Extended Care Health Option (ECHO) and Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) for beneficiaries in the CONUS and OCONUS areas. Ms. De Leon also serves as the liaison between the Military Treatment Facilities (MTF), Intermediate Service Commands, Uniformed Services Headquarters Commands, Veteran Administration, TRICARE eligible beneficiaries, the Managed Care Support Contractors and Uniformed Services Family Health Plan.
Krystyna Bienia, Psy.D.
Clinical Psychologist, Medical Affairs
Defense Health Agency
Dr. Bienia is a clinical psychologist and a senior policy analyst for the Defense Health Agency (DHA) in the Medical Affairs Directorate in Falls Church, VA. She serves as the DHA lead for the upcoming Complex Pediatric Clinical Community and is the clinical program lead supporting the TRICARE Health Plans for the rapidly evolving Autism Care Demonstration where she implements clinical expertise in program development and oversight for a program that significantly impacts overall Military readiness. Dr. Bienia has over twenty years of experience working directly with beneficiaries diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder as well as their families and other health care providers.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
- Social Work, LPC, LMFT: Programming approval for 1.5 CE credits will be obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists from the University of Texas at Austin, Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Check with your state licensing agency for reciprocity and/or credit approval if licensed for other professions or in one of the following states: CO, FL, HI, IA, KS, KY, MI, NY, ND, OH, OK
- Case Manager: This program has been submitted to the Commission for Case Manager Certification for approval to provide board certified case managers with 1.5 clock hours.
- Board Certified Patient Advocates: This program has been pre-approved by The Patient Advocate Certification Board to provide continuing education credit to Board Certified Patient Advocates (BCPA). The course has been approved for a total of 1.5 CE contact hour, of which 0.0 are in the area of Ethics.
- Certified Family Life Educators (CFLE): This program has been approved by the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) for 1.5 CE credit for CFLE.
- Accredited Financial Counselors (AFC): This program has been approved by the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Educations (AFCPE) for 1.5 Ce credits for AFCs.
- Certified Personal Financial Counselors (CPFC): This program has been submitted to the Center for Financial Certifications (Fincert) for 1.5 CE credits for CPFCs.
- Certificates of Attendance are available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.