- This event has passed.
Benefits of Plants for Chronic Kidney Disease
Wed March 22nd: 1:00 pm-2:00 pm EDTFree
About this Webinar:
Plant-based dietary patterns are becoming increasingly popular for people with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD). Additionally, diets that include more plants can delay the progression of CKD and improve micronutrient imbalances, bone health, glucose management, and bowel regularity in people with CKD.
This webinar provides health practitioners with a comprehensive understanding of the benefits of plant-based diets, research to support their use, and actionable advice for implementing plant-based eating for patients with non-dialysis-dependent CKD.
Following this presentation, participants should be able to:
- List at least three benefits of plant-based eating patterns for people with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD).
- Incorporate plant-based diets into therapy for patients with CKD to improve potassium and phosphorus management.
- Communicate changes to the nutrition guidelines for the management of CKD
Melanie V. Betz MS, RD, CSR, CSG, FAND
Melanie is a Registered Dietitian who specializes in kidney stones. She is the founder of The Kidney Dietitian, an online platform that provides easy-to-understand, evidence-based information about kidney stones and kidney disease. She has published her research in peer-reviewed journals investigating patient knowledge and adherence to renal diets, plant based diets in kidney disease and the role of nutrition in kidney stone prevention. She volunteers for the National Kidney Foundation of Illinois and the Renal Practice Group, a practice group of the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics. You can find her on Instagram @the.kidney.dietitian.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
- 1.0 CPEU for RDNs and NDTRs has been approved by the Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Certificate of attendance
Cover image: istock photos