- This event has passed.
Sexualized Behaviors in Children and Youth
Wed May 22, 2019: 11:00 am-12:30 pm EDTFree
About This Webinar:
Child sexual abuse can be a very tough topic to discuss. However, it is very important when preparing families and professionals with strategies to keep kids safe and thriving during childhood and youth.
In this webinar Dr. Shelly Martin, a child abuse pediatrician and US Air Force Lieutenant Colonel, will review and explore normal, concerning, and problematic sexualized behaviors that children may display. Additionally, various factors associated with children’s sexualized behaviors will be identified to assist clinicians in understanding appropriate assessment and disclosure processes involved when problematic symptoms are present.
- Recognize normal sexualized behavior in children and youth.
- Highlight and recognize concerning and problematic sexualized behaviors that children and youth may display.
- Understand appropriate assessment and disclosure processes when working with children and families on the topic of problematic sexualized behavior.
Col Shelly Martin, M.D., United States Air Force, is presently assigned at the San Antonio Military Medical Center, Ft Sam Houston, TX as a child maltreatment specialist. She is an experienced child abuse pediatrician and provides consultation for all forms of child abuse and neglect to all branches of the Armed Forces. Dr. Martin is an assistant professor of Pediatrics at Uniformed Services University for the Health Sciences.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
- Programming approval for 1.5 CE credits has been obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists from the UT Austin Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Check with your state licensing agency for reciprocity and/or credit approval if licensed for other professions or in one of the following states: CO, FL, HI, IA, KS, KY, MI, NY, ND, OH, OK. **Note: Eligibility for CE credit expires on May 22, 2023.
- Case Management Continuing Education Credits from the Commission for Case Manager Certification are no longer available for this webinar. However, please click the button below to complete an evaluation to give us your feedback.
- Certificates of completion are available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.
Click the button below for CE credit
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
- PowerPoint Slides| PDF
- Military REACH Report (2018) | Problematic Sexual Behavior Among Children and Youth: Considerations for Reporting, Assessment, and Treatment
- Problematic Sexual Behavior Among Children and Youth Report | DoD Instruction Policy 6400.01
- Webinar Flyer| PDF
- Go Beyond the Webinar| Sexualized Behaviors in Children & Youth| Blog Post
This webinar is part of the Sexual Behavior in Children & Youth (SBCY) Series hosted by OneOp Family Development. For more information on other professional development opportunities on this topic, visit the series homepage!