- This event has passed.
What Helping Professionals Need to Know About Kincare
Wed November 13, 2019: 11:00 am-12:00 pm ESTFree
About this Webinar:
Across the United States, family members provide homes and care for children whose parents cannot care for them. These kincare arrangements include all children who receive care from grandparents, siblings, aunts and uncles, cousins and close family members (sometimes not family at all) for a period of time. Informal kinship caregivers offer love and stability to these children through their role but many have limited resources and struggle to assume the “burden” of playing a primary parenting role.
This session explores the issue of kincare as well as identify risk and protective factors for both the caregivers and the children and examines resources to support kincare families.
- Define kincare and describe it as an emerging trend.
- Identify risk and protective factors for the caregiver.
- Identify risk and protective factors for the child(ren).
- Examine resources to support kincare families.
Extension Program Specialist, Gerontology & Health
Family & Community Health
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
Kacy Mixon, Ph.D., LMFT
Assistant Professor & OneOp Family Development Project Director
College of Education and Human Services
Valdosta State University
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
Click the button below for CE credit
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
- Social Work, LPC, LMFT: Programming approval for 1.0 CE credits has been obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists from the University of Texas at Austin, Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Check with your state licensing agency for reciprocity and/or credit approval if licensed for other professions or in one of the following states: CO, FL, HI, IA, KS, KY, MI, NY, ND, OH, OK. **Note: Eligibility for CE credit expires on November 13, 2021.
- Case Manager: Case Management Continuing Education Credits from the Commission for Case Manager Certification are no longer available for this webinar. However, please click the button above to complete an evaluation to give us your feedback.
- Certificates of completion are available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.
- For a complete list of our Military Caregiving courses for CE credit go to: Military Families
University Maine Certificate in Grandfamilies Leadership