- This event has passed.
Modeling Healthy Technology Behaviors for Young Children
Thu September 24, 2020: 11:00 am-12:30 pm EDTFree
About This Webinar:
Technology has become integrated into virtually every facet of our lives, with benefits like convenience, the ability to communicate over long distances and help to organize busy family schedules. Unfortunately, technology can also be a major disruption to nurturing parent-child relationships, when adults become consumed in their electronic devices at the expense of quality time with their children. Increased internet and technology access for children and adolescents also brings concerns for how easily young people can be exposed to sexual content that is developmentally inappropriate, or even harmful or illegal, such as child sexual abuse material.
This webinar provides an overview for military family readiness professionals of the importance for parents and caregivers to model healthy boundaries with technology for healthy child social-emotional development; explains how to support parents and other adults set appropriate examples in their use of technology, including teaching children and youth lessons on consent that are translatable to both in-person and online interactions; and explores how positive examples of technology use by adults can help reduce the risk for children and youth to engage in, or be impacted by, problematic sexual behavior.
Erin K. Taylor, Ph.D., is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist and Assistant Professor at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center – Center on Child Abuse and Neglect (CCAN) in Oklahoma City, OK.
Dr. Taylor is a member of the University of Oklahoma Problematic Sexual Behavior – Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Training and Technical Assistance Program, a trainer for the National Center on Sexual Behavior of Youth, and a Co-Director of the evidence-based treatment program for preschool children with problematic sexual behavior.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
Click the button below for CE credit
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
- Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists: Programming approval for CE credit has been obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists from the UT Austin Steve Hicks School of Social Work. **Note: Eligibility for CE credit expires on September 24, 2022.
- Certified Family Life Educators (CFLEs): Contact Hours from the National Council on Family Relations to CFLE’s are available.
- Case Managers: Case Management Continuing Education Credits from the Commission for Case Manager Certification are no longer available for this webinar. However, please click the button above to complete an evaluation to give us your feedback.
- Certificates of completion are available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.
- Webinar Slides| Printable PDF
- Webinar Resources and Links| PDF
- Webinar Flyer| PDF
- Sexual Behavior in Children and Youth| PDF Series Flyer
This webinar is part of the Sexual Behavior in Children & Youth (SBCY) Series hosted by OneOp Family Development. For more information on other professional development opportunities on this topic, visit the series homepage!