Skip to main content

The Navy Operational Fitness and Fueling System (NOFFS) provides the Navy with the best physical fitness and nutrition information so that the Sailors can maintain optimal physical readiness. The aim of the nutrition program is to help individuals improve athletic performance, reduce recovery time, prevent injury, and lead to optimal health status. 

5 Areas of Focus in the Nutrition Fueling Series 

1. Eat Clean

Choose minimally processed foods; try to eat foods in their most natural form. Seek to consume nutrient-dense foods. Nutrient-dense means a high amount of nutrients in relation to calories.  

 Macronutrient key:

    • Carbohydrates = fuel
    • Protein = build
    • Fat = energy density

2. Eat Often

Consuming small meals every 2-3 hours, provides the body with a steady fuel source. The goal is to maintain blood glucose (fuel) in an optimal range throughout the day.Eating more frequently helps prevent roaring hunger and keeps a steady mindset to make good choices throughout the day. 

3. Hydrate

Water is vital to so many of our body functions, such as lubrication of joints, delivery of nutrients, and temperature regulation. Dehydration not only impairs these functions, but it prevents your body’s ability to recover and hinders athletic performance.  

4. Recover

Post-workout, our body has diminished its fuel stores and broken down muscle tissue. Nutrition plays a key role in helping your body recover as quickly as possible to be ready to perform again at a high level. Therefore, it is important to consume a combination of carbohydrates (re-fuel) and protein (re-build) within 30 minutes after a training session, so the body can begin its repair process right away. 

5. Mindset

Fueling does not come down to how much you know but what you do with what you know.  Nourish your body and take care of it by remaining conscious of what you are consuming. It is recommended to follow the 80/20 rule; this means eating what you know is good for you 80% of the time and the remaining 20% of the time eating whatever you desire.  

10 Rules to Live by for Good Fueling Choices 

    1. Come Back to the Earth: Choose whole, unprocessed foods. 
    2. Eat a Rainbow: Choose a variety of fruits and vegetables with meals and snacks. 
    3. The Less Legs the Better: Choose lean proteins. 
    4. Eat Healthy Fats: Examples of healthy fats are nuts, seeds, olive oil, and fish. 
    5. Eat Breakfast Everyday: Plan to eat within 30 minutes of waking up to jumpstart your metabolism. 
    6. 3 for 3: Aim to consume all 3 macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein, and fat) every 3 hours and try to consume 4-6 small meals per day. 
    7. Stay Hydrated 
    8. Don’t Waste your Workouts: Have a recovery meal immediately after your training and consisting of protein and a carbohydrate. 
    9. Supplement Wisely: Check with a registered dietitian or doctor before taking any supplements. Focus on obtaining  nutrients from food first. 
    10. Sleep: Aim for 8 hours of sleep each night.  Our bodies need time to recover and repair. 

Fitness Resources 

The Navy Fitness Nutrition Series offers a plethora of great nutrition information and advice and provides useful fueling resources. 

  • The virtual meal builder will provide an individual with a meal plan based on their gender, weight, and goal. 
  •       Mission Nutrition is a science-based 2-day course aimed to help you improve your knowledge and awareness of nutrition.
  •       Performance Nutrition helps Navy athletes fuel themselves based on their sport.
  • The Nutrition Resource List includes plenty of resources for Sailors such as grocery lists, recipes, and supplement safety.

Fitness, Sports and Deployed Forces Support: Nutrition. (n.d.). Navy Fitness. Retrieved June 2, 2021, from 


Photo by Victor Freitas from Pexels