Written By Jason Jowers, MS, MFT
Service in the military demands immense dedication, courage, and sacrifice for all members and their families. We often share a lot of resources and support for military families, as we want to provide care for military service members who are parents, as well as military spouses and their kids. In doing so, we sometimes forget to support our military service members who also happen to be single. Many members of our U.S. Armed Forces are between the ages of 18-22. These are young adults and many of their civilian peers are away at college, getting an education, but also partying, spending time with friends, and exploring romantic relationships.
How can we as service professionals, support single military service members and provide resources and insight that cater specifically to their needs? Below are a handful of resources to help you in your work to empower and uplift our single military service members.
Resources for Single Military Service Members
The first is this suite of resources from Military OneSource, which serves as a lifeline for military personnel and their families. When it comes to supporting single service members, the “Friendships & Single Life” section on their website is a valuable resource. Here’s how Military OneSource fosters support for military service members navigating the single life.
- The suite provides Military Life Guides that promote fun & fitness, hobbies for service members, and outdoor activities for singles.
- They also provide webinars and external websites on communication, healthy relationship skills, and off-duty military life.
- Finally, a suite of articles and blog posts on friendships, healthy relationships, and single life.
Another great resource is The Real Warriors Campaign, under the Psychological Health Center of Excellence, which focuses on supporting the psychological well-being of service members and veterans. The campaign extends its support to single military personnel as they navigate various challenges including:
- The campaign provides resources that equip single service members with coping mechanisms and strategies to deal with stress, anxiety, and emotional challenges that may arise during their military journey. Their “Support and Resources for Single Service Members” page is a one-stop shop for help for single service members throughout the deployment cycle.
- Real Warriors also advocates for seeking help when needed and encourages open conversations about mental health. It emphasizes that reaching out for support is a sign of strength, not weakness, and aims to reduce the stigma surrounding mental health issues.
- The Real Warriors campaign also offers tips and guidance to help single service members manage the emotional toll of deployments and the readjustment process upon returning home.
Our single military service members are the backbone of our nation’s defense, and it is our responsibility to support and uplift them. The resources provided by Military OneSource and the Real Warriors Campaign are invaluable in ensuring that our single heroes receive the assistance they need to thrive both personally and professionally. Together, we can make a positive impact on the lives of those who selflessly serve our nation.
Blog Post Image: DVids [Single Soldier PT Run by Capt. Brian Sutherland, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division Public Affairs, September 26th, 2022, CC0]