- This event has passed.
2019 Personal Finance Year in Review
Tue December 10, 2019: 11:00 am-12:30 pm ESTFree
About This Webinar:
This annual webinar is a look back at the financial trends, stories, legislation and events that shaped the economy and family finances in 2019, as well as a discussion of the upcoming changes in 2020. Dr. Barbara O’Neill has hosted an annual personal finance review for OneOp since 2015.
Barbara O’Neill, Ph.D. Financial Resource Management Specialist for Rutgers Cooperative Extension, has been a professor, financial educator, and author for 41 years. She has written over 1,600 consumer newspaper articles and over 160 articles for academic journals, conference proceedings, and other professional publications.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Click the button below for CE credit
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
This webinar is approved for 1.5 CEUs for AFC-credentialed participants and 1.5 general CEUs for FinCert Certified Personal Finance Counselors (CPFC)
The Setting Every Community Up for Retirement Enhancement (SECURE) Act was enacted as part of a year-end budget appropriations bill that passed on December 19, 2019. It was subsequently signed by President Trump. Among its key provisions are:
- The start date for Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) was pushed back from age 70.5 to 72
- Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCDs) from Traditional IRAs can still begin at age 70.5
- Traditional IRA contributions are no longer prohibited at age 70.5 and beyond
- Replacement of “stretch” provisions with a new 10-year rule for non-spouse beneficiaries of IRAs and defined contribution plans
- Provisions to encourage the adoption and use of retirement plans by small businesses
- 401(k) plan loans may no longer be made via credit cards
- The “hurdle” for deductible qualified medical expenses remains at 7.5% of AGI for 2019 and 2020
For a comprehensive summary of the SECURE Act, review this blog post by Michael Kitces: https://www.kitces.com/blog/secure-act-2019-stretch-ira-rmd-effective-date-mep-auto-enrollment/.