- This event has passed.
Families in Disaster Recovery: Coordinating Support at the Installation Level
Wed March 17, 2021: 11:00 am-12:30 pm EDT
About this Webinar
The webinar provides information regarding 1) relevant Red Cross programs, structures, and resources, 2) relationship management and community resilience between military installations and surrounding communities, 3) the Red Cross’ role as a trusted communication link among military families in times of crisis, 4) Red Cross programming focusing on hazard mitigation and disaster preparation, and 5) recovery resources for military families, many of whom live off-base.
Disaster Program Manager
American Red Cross Central Appalachian Region
Jessie Kozel is a Disaster Program Manager with the American Red Cross of the Central Appalachia Region. She has over 10 years of experience with the organization. Jessie’s emergency management career started in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. Today, she is responsible for facilitating all Red Cross responses for 18 counties, ensuring that preparedness and mitigation plans are established. Jessie coordinates involvement in exercises and meetings with various agencies and works through multiple county Emergency Operations Plans (EOPs) to ensure that all needs have been addressed and will be met. Jessie participates and serves as a Subject Matter Expert in developing emergency plans for other private sector organizations and is committed to continuing her education and career in Emergency Management. In her spare time, she enjoys kayaking, hiking, and spending time outdoors.
Red Cross Services to Armed Forces
Ed Helphinstine is the Service to the Armed Forces and International Services Manager for the Central Appalachian Region of the American Red Cross. He is a results-oriented professional with nearly 30 years of experience leading and managing complex and diverse teams. Ed has been with the American Red Cross for five years, beginning his career with the Red Cross as a Disaster Program Manager. In his current role, he ensures that the needs of service members, veterans, and their families are met with compassion in a geographic region of 77 counties. He is a former US Army Officer and has extensive experience and a proven record of successfully leading, building, and training teams in austere environments. This experience includes training and mentoring the leadership of the Afghan Special Operations Division Intelligence Battalion, managing a multi-million-dollar overseas counternarcotics program, and directing all Intelligence activities for Special Forces in Afghanistan. In his spare time, he enjoys traveling and spending time with his family.
Christopher Plein, Ph.D.
OneOp Military Caregiving Concentration
Continuing Education (CE) Credit Offered:
Click the button below for CE credit
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
- Social Work, LPC, LMFT: Programming approval for 1.5 CE credits will be obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists from the University of Texas at Austin, Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Check with your state licensing agency for reciprocity and/or credit approval if licensed for other professions or in one of the following states: CO, FL, HI, IA, KS, KY, MI, NY, ND, OH, OK (Expires: 3/17/2023)
- Case Manager: This program has been submitted to the Commission for Case Manager Certification for approval to provide board-certified case managers with 1.5 clock hours. (Expires: 3/17/2022)
- Board Certified Patient Advocates: This program has been pre-approved by The Patient Advocate Certification Board to provide continuing education credit to Board Certified Patient Advocates (BCPA). The webinar has been approved for a total of 1.5 CE contact hour, of which 0.0 are in the area of Ethics. (Expires: 3/17/2023)
- Certified Family Life Educators (CFLE): This program has been approved by the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) for 1.5 CE credit for CFLE. (Expires: 3/17/2023)
- Certificates of Attendance are available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.