A Sneak Peek of an Upcoming Vlog Series!
Stay tuned as the OneOp Military Caregiving concentration area launches their 9-part video blog (vlog) series on ‘Centers for Independent Living – Transitioning to Adulthood’ next month.
Vlog host, Lakshmi Mahadevan, Ph.D., Extension Program Specialist for Special Populations at Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service, speaks with Pat Morse, LMSW, Program Manager for the Brazos Valley Center for Independent Living about the importance of Centers for Independent Living (CIL) and highlights specific topics and resources for parents and caregivers.
CILs are community-based centers that are run by and for people with disabilities and offer a broad range of services to empower and enable people to stay in the community (ACL, 2020).
The 9-part series will focus on the following topics:
- Overview of CILs and ACL
- Independent living philosophy
- Addressing aging, transition, and retirement planning
- Advocacy skills among individuals with disabilities
- Transitioning to employment
- Nutritional wellness
- Residing in skilled or nursing facilities
- Specific health conditions such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) or Alzheimer’s Disease
- Support for parents or caregivers
Learn more about how you can plan for your child’s special needs via CIL here.