- This event has passed.
Social Justice and Social Work: A Panel Discussion
Wed June 15th: 11:00 am-12:30 pm EDTFree
About This Panel:
Join this discussion to learn how you can become a social justice advocate for your clients.
As part of the 2022 Academy series, Family Well-Being: Navigating the Social Justice Landscape, this interactive discussion will address comments and questions around social justice issues brought to the session by participants. Panelists will also discuss how social injustice manifests itself as social services are delivered.
Topics to be explored in this panel include:
- The link between racial, sexual, and gender oppression
- Structural ideology
- Influencing change within organizations
- Relationship-based support and coaching
NOTE: Participants who have completed the first and second courses of the series will find this panel especially beneficial.
Shawn O’Neal is a Ph.D. Candidate and Ph.D. Fellowship at the University Colorado Boulder in the Ethnic Studies Department. He is the course author of the first course of the 2022 Academy Series.
Dr. Jennifer Ho is the director of the Center for Humanities & the Arts at the University of Colorado Boulder, where she also holds an appointment as a Professor of Ethnic Studies.
Allison De Marco, MSW, Ph.D., is an advanced research scientist at Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute and adjunct faculty at the School of Social Work at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Her research focuses on racial equity, poverty, neighborhood effects, work and family, and well-being for residents of rural communities. She is the course author of the second course of the 2022 Academy series.
L. Christopher Plein, Ph.D. is a Professor of Public Administration and Eberly Professor of Outstanding Public Service at West Virginia University.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
Certificates of Attendance will be available for providers interested in documenting their training activities. We have received approval of 1.5 CE credits from the following accrediting agencies:
- Accredited Financial Counselors: The Association for Financial Counseling & Planning Education (AFCPE)
- Registered Dietitians and NDTRs: 1.5 CPEU
- Board Certified Patient Advocates: This program is seeking approval by The Patient Advocate Certification Board to provide continuing education credit to Board Certified Patient Advocates (BCPA).
- Social Work, LPC, LMFT: Programming approval for 1.5 CE credits will be obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists from the University of Texas at Austin, Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Check with your state licensing agency for reciprocity and/or credit approval if licensed for other professions or in one of the following states: CO, FL, HI, IA, KS, KY, MI, NY, ND, OH, OK. Expires June 1, 2024.
- Certified Family Life Educators (CFLE): via the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR)
- Certified Personal Finance Counselors: The Center for Financial Certifications (FinCert)
- Case Manager: This program has been submitted to the Commission for Case Manager Certification for approval to provide board-certified case managers with 1.5 clock hours.