On March 30th, 2022, the OneOp Family Development and OneOp Military Caregiving teams hosted a webinar called “Support for Reintegration after TBI: Strategies for Advocates, Care Coordinators, and Case Managers.” This webinar was the second of two webinars featuring the Traumatic Brain Injury Center of Excellence (TBICoE) and featured in the Month of March to highlight Brain Injury Awareness Month.
The goals of this webinar focused primarily on the variety of educational information, resources, and strategies to help patients and their families learn about and cope with TBI. Presenters addressed the utilization of a strengths-based approach, age-appropriate techniques to familiarize children with TBI, communication strategies, and relationship dynamics. Presenters also discussed strategies to understand, support, and educate the caregiver along their journey following TBI.
We were joined in this webinar by Kristen Benson, Courtney Piccolo, and Casey Becker, Regional Education Coordinators for the Traumatic Brain Injury Center of Excellence (TBICoE) of the Defense Health Agency.
- This webinar began with defining traumatic brain injury, the severity scale of TBI, and physical, cognitive, behavioral, and emotional changes that can take place after a TBI.
- Our presenters then discussed current education on the recovery process and reintegration into the family following a TBI.
- The experiences of caregivers were then discussed including ways to support and advocate for caregivers. TBICoE has a Caregiver Guide and various other resources on TBI support.
- We then explored family and relationship dynamics that went into detail on building intimacy for couples coping with TBI, facilitating unity, and talking to kids about TBI.
- Finally, TBICoE presenters shared many other resources located on their website including the TBI Family Podcast and the National Resource Directory which has support for many issues affecting military families.
Archived Viewing and CE Info
If you missed the live event, you could watch the YouTube archived recording on the webinar event page. Free continuing education credits for this event are still available. Case Management CE credits are available through March 2023, Ohio Nursing Association contact hours, and the UT Social Work CE credits are available through March 2024.
Also, be sure and get caught up with part one of our series with TBICoE called “Brain Health: Understanding Military-Related TBIs.” This webinar took place on March 17th, 2022, and focused on examining the VA and Military Health System (MHS) TBI pathway of care, current DoD understanding of concussion and symptom clusters, and providing resources for the management of concussion. Archived viewing and CE opportunities are still available.