Coming in June 2023
Food security is a top priority for the Department of Defense (DoD) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Although citizens have been feeling the effects of food insecurity for many years now, military service members and their families have been shown to be more adversely impacted by food insecurity. As such, DoD recognizes food insecurity as a threat to military readiness and a national security risk.
Service providers and Extension educators play an integral part in helping military families become more food secure. Discover how you and other professionals can work together to expand food security for military families in your communities with this timely course.
Advancing Food Security for Military Families is a self-paced course developed by national food security expert Dr. Angela Odoms-Young. Use this professional development opportunity to expand your capacity to support food security among the military families you serve.
- Learn about existing initiatives that address food insecurity in military families.
- Examine the multilevel factors that contribute to food insecurity in the military population.
- Explore innovative approaches that will help you assist military families in accessing USDA food and nutrition assistance and education programs.
Subscribe to the Military Family Readiness Academy mailing list to learn when the course is available!
Angela Odoms-Young, Ph.D. is The Nancy Schlegel Meining Associate Professor of Maternal and Child Nutrition, at Cornell University and the Director of the Food and Nutrition Education in Communities Program (FNEC) and New York State Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program.
Dr. Odoms-Young’s research explores the social and structural determinants of dietary behaviors and related health outcomes in low-income populations and Black, Indigenous, and people of color. Her work also centers on developing culturally responsive programs and policies that promote health equity, food justice, and community resilience.
Military Family Readiness Academy
This course is part of the 2023 Military Family Readiness Academy, Military Families and Food Security: A Call to Action. Engage with this series to explore food insecurity’s impact on military families and discover how to apply your knowledge to the communities you serve!
- Certified in Family and Consumer Sciences (CFCS): This program has been submitted for 1.5 CE credits from the American Association for Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS) for CFCS.
- Certified Nutrition and Wellness Educator (CNWE): This program has been submitted for 1.5 CE credits from the American Association for Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS) for CNWE.
- Case Manager: This program has been submitted to the Commission for Case Manager Certification for approval to provide board-certified case managers with 1.5 clock hours.
- Board Certified Patient Advocates: This program has been pre-approved by the Patient Advocate Certification Board (PACB) to provide continuing education credit to Board Certified Patient Advocates (BCPA). The program has been approved for a total of 1.5 CE contact hours, of which 0.0 are in the area of Ethics.
- Social Work, LPC, LMFT: This program has been submitted for 1.5 CEs from the University of Texas at Austin, Steve Hicks School of Social Work.
- Accredited Financial Counselors (AFC): This program has been approved for 1.5 CEUs from the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education (AFCPE) for AFCs.
- Certified Personal Finance Counselors (CPFC): This program has been approved for 1.5 CEs from FinCert for CPFCs.
- Certified Family Life Educators (CFLE): This program has been approved for 1.5 CEs from National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) for CFLEs.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDN) and Nutrition Dietetics Technicians, Registered (NDTR): This program has been approved for 2.75 CPEUs from the Commission on Dietetic Registration for RDNs and NDTRs.
Share the Flyer
Download and share the course flyer with a colleague.
Military Family Readiness Academy Mailing List
Subscribe today to receive additional information and announcements concerning the Academy.